George Mueller was known as one of the greatest men of God of his time. He followed God’s direction for his life. Below you will find what he gave as directions to finding God’s direction for your life.
1. I seek to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. When you’re ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be, nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome.
2. Having done this, I don’t leave the result to feeling or simply impression. If I do so, I leave myself liable to great delusion.
3. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, God’s Word. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Spirit guides us, He’ll do it according to the Scriptures, not contrary to them.
4. Next, I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me.
6. Thus, through prayer, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment, according to the best of my ability and knowledge.
If my mind is thus at peace, and continues after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly.
I have found this method always effective in trivial or important issues.