You may be wondering where Azerbaijan even is. Most people may not know or have heard of Azerbaijan. It is surrounded by Armenia, Russia, Iran and the Caspian Sea. Although in Central Asia, it is a Eurasian country and has many associations with Europe. Hopefully, while reading this article, you will learn more about Azerbaijan and its need for the Gospel!
The language of Azerbaijan is Azeri and is actually very similar to the Turkish language. Many of the customs and cultures in Azerbaijan also have similarities to Turkey. It is a country of immense beauty and the capital city is known for its beautiful and unique architecture.
For a long period of time it was under the Soviet Union but then in 1991, it won its independence. Its borders are sometimes disputed and in recent months there have been fightings between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
The country is majority Muslim, with around 92% of the population claiming to be Muslim. Sadly, there is little Gospel witness in the country. The doors are open for the Gospel in Azerbaijan, but few are willing to go. Will you join us in praying for laborers for Azerbaijan and for Azerbaijan to be reached with the Gospel in this generation. Will you consider giving your life to take the Gospel to the people of Azerbaijan?
Some facts about Azerbaijan:
Population: 10.1 million
- Azerbaijan has the most mud volcanoes in the world with over 400 that from time to time will explode.
- They have a city that is built on stilts in the Caspian Sea. Neft Daşları started as an oil rig and then shops and houses started to pop up around it and now it is a complete city on stilts.
- The horses from Azerbaijan are one of the oldest breeds in the world. They are renowned and loved in Azerbaijan.
- Its capital city, Baku, is home to the Armwrestling Federation. So, if in the city, be prepared to find people who will want to arm wrestle with you.
- Although Azeri is the language, many people know and speak Russian.
- Similar to Turkey, they love to drink tea, but they will sweeten their tea with jams!
- It had the first oil rig drilled to it in the world and to this day its major exports are oil and natural gas.
We hope you will join us in praying for Azerbaijan to be reached with the Gospel.